Are you aware of the ‘Archive’ feature in Outlook? What does this unique feature do? Well, it lets users get rid of the overflow of emails in your Outlook account by moving the old items to ‘archive’. The emails will straight go to a separate Outlook Data File (.pst), which can be used when needed.
Methods to Send Emails to Archive Folder
From time to time, Outlook, by default, uses its AutoArchive feature to archive emails. However, Outlook account users can manually archive items whenever they want. By doing this, the account holders will be able to control emails and archive them if they want to store them or how long the email needs to be stored before deleting them permanently.
- You need to perform one of the following actions:
- In ‘Outlook 2013’: Follow the pattern File > Info > Cleanup Tools > Archive
- In ‘Outlook 2016’: Follow the pattern File > Info > Tools > Clean up Old Items
- Here, you need to select the ‘Archive this folder and all subfolders’ option and then click the folder you wish to archive
- Enter a date (under the ‘Archive items older than’ option)
- You have the facility of making multiple .pst files to archive multiple folders using different settings (for an instance, when you want to keep your sent items longer than your inbox emails)
- To archive individual items which are excluded from automatic archiving, you need to check the Include items with “Do not AutoArchive” checked “This option doesn’t remove that exclusion from these items but instead ignores the Do not AutoArchive setting for this archive only,” mentioned on the support.office.com website.
- Now, click ‘OK’
If you do not want the auto feature to be enabled all the time, you certainly turn it off. Follow the below-mentioned workaround to Turn off AutoArchive. This will allow you to archive only when you want.
- Select File > Options > Advanced
- Click ‘AutoArchive Settings’ under ‘AutoArchive’
- Now, uncheck the ‘Run AutoArchive every n days’ box.
Need help in archiving items? Contact Outlook customer support today for solutions to all the technical queries.