Imagine carrying out the rigorous task of adding multiple email addresses one by one in the Cc and Bcc fields every time you compose a new message (when you have to send the same message). This job will surely fatigue you. But, users of Windows Live Mail are in luck. They don’t have to follow the same technique to send emails to a group of people. Instead, they can adopt a more elegant approach and accomplish the job of adding emails and sending to multiple people without spending a lot of time – by creating a group.
“I had contact groups (discussion lists) in MS Outlook. I have switched to Live Mail. How do I create a contact group so I can send an email to the group?”
So, how do you create a group in Windows Live Mail?
This page will guide you to create contact groups in Windows Live Mail. This will help you save an ample amount of time that you used to spend while adding each recipient diligently.
Let’s see how to carry out the task and create a contact group or email distribution list in Windows Live Mail without failing.
- On your computer, start Windows Live Mail.
- On the top, click on the ‘Go’ option. A drop-down menu will display. You will have to select ‘Contacts’.
- After clicking on the ‘Contacts’ option, you will find all your contacts on the computer screen.
- Next, you will need to bunch all your contacts up so that you can send an email to a group. To do so, go to the ‘File’ option and click ‘Add a category’.
- Selecting the option will open a pop-up window where you will have to enter a name for the category. You are recommended to come up with a descriptive name.
- Select the contacts that you want to add to the new category. This action needs careful attention because selecting or adding a wrong contact can cause trouble in the future. If you think you have added a wrong contact, remove the same by clicking on it.
- Once the action is well-performed, you can click ‘Save’. This will save the changes made. This means you have successfully created a group in Windows Live Mail.
This new Windows Contacts category will be displayed in the left pane. To make sure you have created the new category and it works well, send an email to the group. To do so, click on compose a new email, and provide the name of the category. Click the send button and check whether the message is sent. Check with a couple of recipients to ensure the process has been a super-success.
Why stop here? You can go on creating contact groups in Windows Live Mail as many times as you want – until your purpose is getting fulfilled. The interesting thing is that you can add one individual to multiple groups. The individual will continue to receive emails if he or she is in different groups.
Let’s take a quick look at how to send a message to a mailing list –
- Open Windows Live Mail.
- Go to the ‘Home’ tab.
- Select the ‘Email Message’. This will open a ‘New Message’ window.
- Click ‘Message’. Click ‘Add’ in the Contacts group. This will open the ‘Send an Email’ window that contains all the recipients and each of your mailing lists.
- As you click the mailing list, you will a list. Choose the mailing list that you want to use and click ‘OK’.
- Provide necessary information on the ‘Subject’ field and hit the ‘Send’ button.
About Windows Live Mail
Formerly known as Windows Live Mail Desktop, Windows Live Mail is a discontinued freeware email client from the American multinational technology company – Microsoft. Designed to run on Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7, Windows Live Mail is compatible with Windows 10 and Windows 8.