If you don’t remember your Facebook account password or you can’t access your Facebook account because the password you are entering is incorrect, you will need to follow the Facebook account recovery process provided below. The following Facebook account recovery process will help you to reset the password of your FB account and regain control of it.
How to Recover Facebook Account?
- Open a web browser on your phone or computer and go to the sign-in page of Facebook using the address – https://www.facebook.com/.
- On the sign-in page, click or tap on the Forgotten password? option. You will be directed to the next screen where you will be prompted to provide your email address or mobile number to search for your account.
- So, enter your mobile number or email address associated with your Facebook account for which you are resetting the password. Then, press the Search button.
- As you will press the Search button you will be taken to the next screen where you will be provided a similar prompt as suggested below.
- How do you want to receive the code to reset your password?
- Send code via email (****@example.com)
- Send code via SMS (+9**********)
- Depending on the account recovery option (phone number or email address) you have access to, select the appropriate one from the given options and press the Continue button.
- If you selected the email address as the account recovery option, check your email account for the 8 digit code. However, if your select the phone number option, check your phone for a message from Facebook to get the verification code.
- Once you have the verification code, enter the code on your prompted screen and press the Continue button. Pressing the Continue button will direct you to the next screen where you will be prompted to create a new password for your Facebook account.
- So, enter the new password in the provided field on the next screen and press the Continue button. However, before confirming the new password, make sure that the password you create is at least 6 characters long and is a combination of letters, digits, and punctuation marks.
- On the next screen, you will be provided a confirmation message that your Facebook account password has been changed successfully. Along with the notification you will be prompted with the following two options.
- Log out of other devices
- Stay logged in
- By default, you will find the Stay logged in option checked, however, for security reasons, it is recommended to select the “Log out of other devices” option and press the Continue button. Doing so will not only help you regain control of your Facebook account but also allow you to check for any recent changes made.
- So, on the next screen, press the Get Started button and wait for the scanning process to get completed. So, go through the on-screen prompted to secure your Facebook account.
NOTE: Make sure to keep your account recovery options up-to-date so that you can recover your Facebook account easily if you ever forget its password.
And, this is how you can recover your Facebook account. Moreover, if you are looking to recover an old Facebook account that you are unable to sign into, you can follow the instructions suggested below.
Steps to Recover an Old Facebook Account
- First, you will need to go to the profile of the Facebook account that you would like to recover.
- Next, under the Cover Photo, tap on the More option and select the Find support or report profile option from the expanded menu.
- Then, you will need to select the Something else option and then tap on the Submit button.
- After that, you can tap on the Recover this account option and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the account recovery process.
What If My Friend’s Facebook Account is Hacked?
If your friend is unable to sign into his/her Facebook account because it seems to be hacked by someone else, you can either suggest them with the above-mentioned account recovery option or you can suggest them to visit the Facebook account recovery page (https://www.facebook.com/hacked).
However, if your friend is medically incapable and can’t access Facebook, you might be allowed by Facebook to remove their account. But, if the condition of your friend is reversible, you can get their account deactivated instead of terminating it permanently. This way, your friend can access their Facebook account whenever they recover from their condition.
In an unforeseen situation where your friend passes away, you can report their profile to be memorialized by visiting this page (https://www.facebook.com/help/150486848354038). Memorializing an account will help prevent anyone from signing into it.