It can be quite troublesome to migrate from Windows Live Mail to Microsoft Office Outlook since Windows Live Mail has been out of support for quite a time. If you are also having issue migrating from Windows Live Mail to Microsoft Office Outlook, you can follow the instructions provided below.
Steps to Migrate from Windows Live Mail to Microsoft Office Outlook
When migrating from Windows Live Mail to Microsoft Office Outlook, you would want to migrate your contacts and calendars along with emails. There are two ways to Migrate to Microsoft Office Outlook:
- Outlook located on another computer.
- Outlook located on the same computer.
NOTE: The following instructions are based for Outlook which is located on the same computer.
If your Outlook is located on the same computer, it is suggested to use the export function from with Windows Live Mail instead of the Import function provided in Outlook.
- Launch Outlook on your computer and open up Windows Live Mail. Then, use File > Export > Messages in order to export the messages to Outlook.
- For older version of Windows Live Mail, you will need to press the ALT key on your keyboard to see File
- For the latest version of Windows Live Mail, you will need to go to File > Export email > Email messages.
- Next, you will be prompted to choose the format in which you wish to export email. For this, you will need to select Microsoft Exchange.
- If prompted, you will need to confirm the information dialog for exporting to Microsoft Outlook.
- Then, you will need to select Folder(s) where you would want to export to Outlook.
- After that, wait for the export process to get complete. The time for this process to get completely depends on the number of messages stored in Windows Live Mail.
- On your Windows Live Mail, select the Contacts button located in the lower-left section, or press CTRL + 3 key on your keyboard to get to the Windows Live Contacts window.
- Next, go to File > Export > Comma Separated Values (.CSV).
- Then, you will need to select a location to export and give a suitable name to the file.
- After that, press Next button and make sure to select all the fields.
- Press Finish and wait until the export process gets completed.
- Once you are done exporting the contacts, you will need to import the file to Outlook. Just go to the File > Open & Export > Import/Export.
- Next, select Import from another program or file option and press the Next
- Then, select Comma Separated Values (Windows) and press the Next
- After that, browse to the location where you exported your contacts file from Windows Live Mail.
- Finally, press the Next button and then press Finish
The calendar of Windows Live Mail can no longer be synced with Outlook.com/Hotmail and no export option is offered for any Calendar. The only way to maintain the data is to simply forward Calendar items one-by-one as emails.
So, this is how you can import data from your Windows Live Mail to Microsoft Office Outlook.