Outlook 2016 comes with numerous advantageous features that allow users to make the most of its platform when it comes to carrying out various email tasks. One of the best features available in Outlook 2016 is the option to access your other email accounts within the email program.
For example, if you have a Gmail account and an Outlook account, you can easily access both using Outlook 2016 only. You don’t have to access your Gmail account separately each time you receive or wish to send an email from it. For such easy access, all you have to do is configure your Gmail account on Outlook 2016 using IMAP settings. To know how to set up your Gmail account on Outlook 2016, follow the step-by-step instructions provided below.
Steps to Configure your Gmail Account on Outlook 2016
- On your web browser, sign in to your Gmail account, click on the Gear icon and select Settings option from the drop-down menu. You will be directed to the Settings page of your Gmail account.
- Under the Settings section, go to the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab, select the “Enable IMAP” option under the IMAP Access section, and click on the Save Changes
- Now, open Outlook 2016 on your computer, click on the File tab and select Add Account option located just above the Account Settings
- On the next window, you will need to select Manual setup or additional server types option and click on the Next
- Then, you will need to select your Account Type, choose “POP or IMAP” option, and click on the Next
- After that, you will need to add your user information and your host server information as suggested below:
Account Type: IMAP
Incoming Mail Server: imap.gmail.com
Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): smtp.gmail.com
Next, you will need to add your logon information as shown below:
- Your Name: Enter your username
- Email Address: Enter your Gmail address
- Account Type: IMAP
- Incoming mail server:gmail.com
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP):gmail.com
- User Name: Enter your username
- Password: Enter your Gmail password
- Next, you will need to go click on the More Settings option located on the lower-right corner of the window. Under “More Settings” window, go to the Outgoing server tab and select the checkbox next to:
- My Outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication
- Use same settings as my incoming mail server
Then, click on the “OK” button.
- Then, go to the Advanced tab and verify the following settings:
- Incoming server (IMAP): 993 or 143
- Incoming server encrypted connection: SSL
- Outgoing server (SMTP): 465 or 587
- Outgoing server encrypted connection: TLS or Auto
- After that, you will need to click on the OK button and then on the Next, this will open a Test Account Settings window on your screen.
- In the Test Account Settings window, you will see the test process for the configuration of Gmail account to Outlook 2016 running. Wait until the process gets completed successfully. Once the process gets completed, you will need to exit from all the windows.
NOTE: In case the configuration test of your Gmail to Outlook 2016 doesn’t get completed successfully, you will need to review the steps followed above to ensure that you have entered the required information correctly. After that, you can again run the test to set up your Gmail account on Outlook 2016.
And, this is how your Gmail account will be configured to Outlook 2016. if still getting any issue so you can always speak with Outlook customer support service experts to fix your Outlook related problem.